Wales Opinions Live

Politics, Sport and Life in Wales & Beyond

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to walesopinionslive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Wild Carneddau Ponies - Crimpiau 04.09.14
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:30 pm 

Post subject: Re: Wild Carneddau Ponies - Crimpiau 04.09.14
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:11 am 

That's a really good photo, Pen. How many of these ponies are there? The grazing looks pretty exhausted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:51 pm 

Last November the annual round up showed about 160 mares but no figure for stallions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-24896623

They're spread over a large area roughly bounded by the A5, A55 and A470. When I came across the group in the photo I was a little apprehensive given that one was teat feeding a foal but they were actually docile and I walked through the group without spooking them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 pm 

I've always been interested in horses, Pen. I was delighted with your photo. My first paid job at eleven years of age was putting on the head harness of the horses at a local farm, leading them out of the barn and backing them into the wagon shafts. The men fixed the wagon harness on - just in case. Over the last two or three years there have been a number of nasty incidents in the Vale involving something I had never heard of before - flygrazing. Unknown people were driving quite large herds of horses onto farmer's meadows and leaving them to graze the grass. No one knew what to do about it until the RSPCA found a number of them starving in exhausted fields. Some were already dead when the officers arrived and others had to be put down. Few of the owners were ever found but those who were found themselves before the courts. I haven't heard of any incidents this year so perhaps the problem has gone away. Putting Monbiot's crackpot ideas to one side I was pleased to see that there is still a place for wild horses in the Welsh landscape. As for apprehension I have never come across an incident of a horse attacking a man, but perhaps you are right. Living up there you are probably more familiar with horses than I am. If you see them again post some more photos. You seem to be pretty handy with a camera.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:23 pm 

I'm glad that flygrazing has diminished. Seemed to me that some people wanted horses but couldn't afford to feed them.

The embarrassing part of my meeting with the Carneddau ponies was that I had a long one sided conversation with them, walked on and followed the path upwards for a couple of yards only to see an elderly couple picnicing. I got strange looks from them! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

been instances of it in Carms and around the SE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:44 pm 

Photographing animals is tricky!

I took this pic at Cwmystradllyn to try to capture the isolated feel and tranquility of the valley but I had to wait for what seemed an eternity for the animal on the right to finish making a major contribution to Porthmadog's water supply!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 am 

That's another well composed photo, Pen. I wouldn't worry too much about talking to horses - many do it. I talk to dogs every day and occasionally I talk to my wife but then I've been regarded as an eccentric all my life. The weather has closed in now and is typically October. The Vale is back to its usual state, drip, drip, drip. Country walks will be few and far between until the Spring. Never mind, Xmas is coming.

Contact Us | All times are UTC