Wales Opinions Live

Politics, Sport and Life in Wales & Beyond

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to walesopinionslive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Is this the next king of Scotland?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 pm 

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/ana ... -the-year/

Post subject: Re: Is this the next king of Scotland?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

Very tongue in cheek, Beowulf.

Mind you there are those who believe that the next King of England will be enthroned holding not the orb and sceptre, but a fag and a pint of beer. Coronation music will be a recording of Vera Lynn singing 'Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover.'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 am 

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/c ... -1-3949549

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

How refreshing one of their own admitting the financial case was iffy at best and is now fully dead.

If he thinks that Scotland cannot support itself how on earth can welsh nat think we can?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:27 pm 

As I wrote at the time a 'YES' to independence vote was the best thing for the rest of us. We didn't get it and now 59 nationalist Scottish MPs are obstructing the legislation of the House of Commons which affects only England and Wales and the Labour Party is unlikely to ever again form a government on its own. In addition the Scottish government is adamant that it will not recognise a vote by the majority of the UK to leave the EU. This will not do. Regardless of the political fallout the Scots must be told to comply with the decisions of Parliament or leave the Union. I have always believed that drawing an international frontier across a small island is lunacy but the behaviour of the SNP is changing my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

I agree IF we (UK) vote to leave Eu (and any more events like Paris will make it more likely) then no region of UK can have the right to dissent.

If the Scots kick off then yes we have to tell them to shut up or leave no buying them off, they almost certainly won't accept being effectively thrown out, so it puts the SNP main platform to bed for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:00 pm 

Bit late to this thread but have to disagree. At present a second referendum would result in a vote for independence - the stats bear that out - but the argument is not wholly economic; more a matter of heart.

To recap the NO vote only came about by a last minute intervention by "honest" Gordon Brown who delivered his "vow" with Cameron's hand up his fundament. Despite all the promises made at that time the Scotland Bill presently in the Lords (who cannot make sense of it) falls well short of the "vow". In short, the people of Scotland know that they were lied to and sold a pup by the Westminster establishment.

However a second referendum will not occur until Cameron's EU referendum takes place, the UK decides to leave the EU (turkeys voting for Christmas) and Scotland dissents. Quite where that would leave Wales is a good question. Can Westminster be trusted to replace the EU funding which Wales receives? Or can it ever expect to receive fair funding based on need? As an example the proposed NHS funding for a devolved Manchester would provide 30% more per head of population than allocated to Wales.

Personally I'm already sick of the Tory "all in it together" administration; Corbyn is a lamentable fool, the LibDems are a joke and UKIP is, well UKIP. (nuff said!) May God send Wales a Sturgeon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

we need a surgeon (well lots of them) more than a sturgeon.

Contact Us | All times are UTC